Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day.

I judge the day by what I can hear without moving from my pillow. Lawnmowers are humming and kids are screaming out rules to some antique game. It must be a beautiful day. I've been judging the summer day this way since I can remember. But when I used to hear the kids outside, the rules were foreign and I rushed to join them. Now I just listen, smirk and consider sliding on my running shoes. I stretch my arm across the sheets to a laptop left hunched over, asleep. I give it life. A strong glare makes it difficult to read the messages scattered about my screen. The sun's out. I twist my body to find a resolution and sure enough I'm left awkwardly hunched over. Funny how roles are reversed.

Mornings give us a quick chance to summarize the day before and consider the day ahead. Yesterday was a good day. Mike's family has been a home to me since high school, and a barbecue at their house meant entertaining dialogue that renegotiated the met's bullpen and crushed mike's middle school glory days. Even better, I got to share those moments with a small cluster of faces I hadn't smiled back at in a while. A few conclusions:

Sean holds the same fetish with the word 'epic' as I do, which is like finding out you share the same birthday, except more epic.

Ricky had to leave early to turn coffee into starbucks.

Colin was reliable as ever, joining me in a backyard rum & coke.

Anna tried to convince us that 100 is the new 2.

Randi, as usual, exemplified her worthiness to compete on East Coast Punk Rock Jeopardy if their ever was a show.

Nate's job gave him a sweeter set up than a skittles factory. Taste the rainbow.

Colby carried Mike in beer pong.

Owen was there. That should speak for itself as he is "more talked about than God" in Poughkeepsie.

Julie didn't say much but was probably thinking a lot given these circumstances.

And Mike...well it was his graduation party.

4 comments:

  1. have i told you lately, that i love you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. but sharing the same birthday is still reallllllly epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for that post Molly. Waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. i knew it. i felt like it was a test. glad i passed. our big day is on a sunday this year. lame.

    ReplyDelete