Sunday, May 31, 2009

Juggling with Age

Do you know how to juggle?

I don't. But I still do it. I juggle the time I spend working on my "personal projects" and the time I spend browsing youtube and creating tweets. I juggle the few reasons why I like to be home and the million excuses of why I need to keep moving. I juggle my words in a mismatched way, and try to decide where the best one's fit. I juggle my next step and the one I just took. I juggle those things that I keep to myself and the many ideas I press unto this keyboard. I juggle the sun over my right shoulder and the shadow to my left. I juggle lots of things, so much so, that the word juggle seems weird and slightly innapropriate now. But if there's anything I juggle that's worth being caught, it's my friends. I love them.

That said, there's a few that really make me think. Think about concepts and beliefs I thought I had all figured out...like age.

You see, there’s a delicate coexistence between two friends divided by a few years time, experiencing the same thoughts and emotions, one after the other. So my question: Does the older play the brother; bestowing on the younger the lessons life has taught him? Or does he let his friend live, and learn them on his own, potentially allowing him to be hurt along the way? If he does decide to play the role of mentor, does that devalue their relationship as two young friends experiencing life simultaneously, or does it make them stronger? A few years seems insignificant in the longer rhyme, yet when this partition occurs on the edge of adolescence and the brink adulthood, the lessons seem important as ever. I suppose the older will always offer wisdom, and it’s the job of the younger to not believe him till he sees it for himself. Yet there’s always the chance, that very likely instance, when that younger man teaches the older a lesson he missed along the way.

It’s funny the way two friends evolve. The roles we take, the masks we wear. I’m not sure why I’m putting this thought out there, but it presented itself recently. Maybe age is as useless as a bottomless mug. There’s things we all experience, and for that we can always take advice. But there’s pages more which we don’t have in common; experiences that make us…us. And it’s those bits of life that simply defy age.

1 comment:

  1. You and I, we coexist with this friend in different ways which, of course, makes me feel like I need to thoroughly analyze mine until I have head pains (it happens). What I wonder though is not if the correct mentor-mentee relationship will be chosen for the 2 of you, but if sll actual roles will be realized. You teach him too. You make him think a lot. I think you are two young people experiencing different lives simulatneously and the few years simply allow you a good look around at the other's situations. But there's no need to define what doesn't need distinction.

    ReplyDelete