Friday, February 6, 2009

Celebrity Status

This morning was a bit difficult to get going. As my first alarm began chiming at 5:50 a.m., I actually contemplated if it was acceptable or not to bring my orange pillow onto the train with me. I opted to put that thought aside at around 6:10. Clearly it was a tough decision. The morning does have its bright sides. For instance, I had taken a shower the night before, so the uncomfortably cold walk from bedroom to bathroom was actually avoidable today. Mornings never seem to get "easy" for me. Thankfully I take responsibility seriously enough that there's never much of a fight, though I do avoid getting into the ring almost every day.

As usual the next two hours or so become a blur of commuter repetition. At about 8:20 I emerged into the chaotic concourse of Grand Central, and headed for "my" Starbucks. I feel incredibly warranted to call it my Starbucks, today more than ever. As I approached the counter, a young girl yelled out to me "Grande Soy Latte, right?" She must've caught my flattered expression, because not more than a moment later she smiled and called out to me again. "You're at celebrity status now. You don't have to say a thing." I was impressed. I only come in twice a week, and I've only been to this location the past few weeks. That's about five or six separate instances, and yet she already considered me a regular, a celebrity even. It may just be a Starbucks, but hey, it feels good to be noticed.

I guess that was the highlight of my day today. It'll do, I suppose. In fact, it definitely does do. I was happy about it. The same sort of contentness I felt when I got off the subway a bit later on. I was listening to Jack's Mannequinn's "Spinning" and I swear it seemed like today's current was swimming to it's beat. It's funny how some days just move the right way.

Moving along,

Timmy

3 comments: