Friday, February 13, 2009

Just Press Play

100 days till graduation. There's really no avoiding it. It's coming and everyone knows it. If my school's conveniently located "countdown clocks" didn't send me the message, the dozens of people who have asked me the unanswerable question, "what are you doing after college?," definitely did.

Growing up, birthdays were anticipated. It's an unscientific fact that kids love getting older. And we're as guilty as the new ones are. We would disect who was the oldest and who would get stuck "waiting" the longest. It's pretty clear that we wanted the future. We wanted to be in the next scene of the movie, press fast forward and get to the good parts. Thirteen and seventeen gave us a foothold at the box office, sixteen gave us a driver's seat, eighteen gave us tobacco and scratch off tickets, and twenty-one...well it's where the anticipation seems to end.


Now my days consist of face-off upon face-off against time. Hell, for Halloween I was a murdered countdown clock. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want time to freeze altogether. There are plenty of things I have to look forward to, believe me the list goes on and on. It's the moments that close chapters that are the scariest - graduations, birthdays, etc. There's no real solution to these inevitable dates and times, but it's an observation well worth making. If life was a DVD player, there would only be a play button. So don't waste time looking for any others.

100 days. I can wait.

4 comments:

  1. mine has an eeject button so i can insert other lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool. I didn't mention it, but I can put my life in High Def. Next time I see you, make sure to wear sun glasses - I'll flip the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized how ambiguous this analogy may be. I mean, life can't pause. But a person can. A person can stop and take a look at the world playing around him. But the world part - that never pauses.

    ReplyDelete