Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Sunday

Hellooooo Monday!

Superbowl Sunday had so many bits and pieces to look forward to. You've got the actual football game. You've got the commercials to critique. You've got the half-time show extravaganza. You've got the "right after the game" premiere (The Office). And finally, you've got the FOOD. It's even more eventful than Thanksgiving in a lot of ways. This year, the day couldn't have been spent any better. I was home with the housemates, eating the food we all played a part in creating, and laughing about whatever came into our minds. It was cozy to say the least. Here's a look at our bowl-worthy menu:

Trail Mix by yours truly
Pizza from Giacomo's - ordered by Steve
MAC-govern & Cheese
Kristen and Mike's Guacamole & Salsa
Pierce's Peanut Butter Balls
Chips/Pretzels/Tostitos (various contributors)
Cupcakes via Mama Gruebel
And finally: Kate's extraordinary HOT wings (3 hours in the making; worth every nibble)

By the end I was in that 'past-out on the couch' position, wondering how I fit everything into my stomach. I must say, it was an exceptional display of gluttony.

In terms of commercials, I thought we had some classics in there, along with a few duds. The two that pop into my mind right away are the "Free Doritos" campaign and Pepsi's "Forever Young." The Doritos ad was especially buzz worthy since the commercial's concept was created by a contest-winner, and not your typical creative team. The promotional stunt seemed well worth it, landing Doritos at the top of many critic's lists. Unfortunately, true success can only be measured by sales in the ad world.
Pepsi brought their new logo and look into full circle yesterday with their commercial. The inter-generation comparisons were a great creative execution, especially against big-time competitor coca-cola. The vintage and classic tone was literally swept out from under coke's feet, one might say. I enjoyed it, but then again I've always preferred Pepsi.

I guess I should say a word about the half time show. How about...'Boss'? Ironically, that term came into use again during The Office, but I won't get into that. Bruce Springstein did a great job entertaining all ages, yet making it quite clear he wasn't 30 anymore. From his mic-stand back dip that kept him down for a solid 30 seconds to his stage-slide that landed his crotch in the camera lens, it was clear he hadn't pulled those moves in quite a few years - yet it was completely worth it. I was especially humored by his exclamation at the end of his set: "I'm going to Disney World!" It used to just be the winning team who got to say that phrase, but apparently half-time performers are also warranted to announce their vacation destinations from the fity yard line. Why not?

Lastly, congratulations to all you Steeler's fans out there. I had no real preference, except for a good game - and I definitely got that. Until next year...

1 comment: