Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's easy to love.

A blog is sort of like a weekly sitcom. I'm supplying you bits and pieces of my life. The comical, the dramatic, the ironic. Yet I rise to the even bigger challenge of writing to you almost daily. Anyway, the point is that when you make this sort of commitment it's customary to address reality's landmarks. Today's one of those landmarks - Valentine's Day. I haven't really developed any sort of stance on Hallmark's offspring, but do think it's nice when there's more to a day than just a number and a month. It gives me excuses. An excuse to cook a fancy meal. An excuse to eat chocolate covered strawberries. An excuse to get free condoms. An excuse to have a party. You see my point.

I look at all of my friend's who are happily intertwined with significant others and it makes me think. And what I think is that love is the easy part. Love is so incredibly easy to fall into we can't help it. I've never met anyone who successfully tried to fall in love. That wouldn't be love I suppose. Yet despite it's simplicity, once you're in it with someone and you decide to build a relationship out of it's bricks, then it's not always so easy. I don't like calling it "work" but a relationship definitely does require effort from both sides. And sometimes that effort is more than we can handle. Falling in love may be easy, but making it "work" isn't, at least not always.

I think that's why I don't believe in soulmates. Managing a relationship is too rugged to be as shiny as a "perfect pair." Besides, the idea of one person being the right person is intimidating, no? How are you supposed to know how or when you've met them? What if you spend six months loathing over a broken heart, when that person wasn't "the one" anyway? What if you already let go of the person you were supposed to hold onto? As you can see, I don't like having limits. And love shouldn't have limits. Most of us fall into it more than once in a lifetime anyway. Sometimes we're loved back, sometimes we're not. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't. It's simple to diagnose in the aftermath. It isn't complicated.

I don't like it when people say things are "complicated." Facebook sure capitalized on that one, huh? 99.9% of the time it isn't complicated at all. It's incredibly simple, just like love. In fact, the people that do call it complicated are usually the people in limbo. They've got the love, but they can't make it work. And because they don't want to extinguish the flame they have burning, they avoid a relationship. It's fun. But there's a reason it's not official. Jelousy, commitment, betrayal, impotency, intimidation, narcissism, timing, the list is enormous. The point is, there's a way to describe it, usually in one word. So when people say it's complicated they're really just too lazy to explain the truth, OR they haven't accepted the truth. It's not always a bad thing, either. Hanging out in limbo can be really fun. It's all the sugar without the cavities.

All that said, Love is incredible. And that's what today is all about. Today's not about the work. Complicated, committed, or strictly platonic, we can all appreciate Love. It's that easy.

1 comment:

  1. I like this one. Really makes you step back from your relationships, and break them down to their simplest building block which is "love" the kind that just makes ya dance around. Im feelin this one timmy!

    ReplyDelete