Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009.

Well, here we are in the next year. Can you feel the difference? Me neither. But I did have a good time celebrating the switch, up in Poughkeepsie. I thought for today I'd fill you in on some of the details I love about New Years.

1. Champagne. It humors me that on this very special occasion champagne becomes so many people's favorite drink, yet throughout the year they hardly look twice at a bottle of the good stuff. It makes me wonder why. It can't be the price. I know it seems like a classy beverage, but there's no way to make it fancy when you slam that bottle of Andres on the counter for $4.99. It can't be the taste either. Unless of course manufacturers throw in a secret ingredient during the season to spur a liking. But then why wouldn't they keep that ingredient year round? I'm pretty sure it's the same recipe. So it must be my third suspicion: people generally do love champagne...they just don't know it 364 days out of the year. Some people have caught on. People like my roommate nick who enjoy a bottle on a weekly basis. As for the masses, don't be afraid to by a few bottles of the bubbly for your next social event, it's good. And for anyone who genuinely hates champagne...your loss.



2. Party Favors. How can you not love these guys? Lets run down the list:

Noise makers (just incase your vocal cords give out, don't panic. There are devices you can use that require only a small gust of air and some festive spirit to become louder than necessary)

Feathered hats (because New Years should always take place in the roaring twenties)

Weird coiled paper blow thing (because blowing into a mouthpiece in order to make decorative paper momentarily unravel into a straight line says I'm ready to party)

And of course...The 2009 Eyeglasses (enough said about that)

I particularly enjoy seeing people multitasking with the items mentioned above. Maybe a little eyeglass and noise maker combo (this is a favorite of mine as facebook pictures will attest). Another classic image is seeing people wearing these items the following day (again guilty but not in public). I saw a man just today on my way home in the Times Square subway station wearing the feathered hat and a woman nearby wearing the eyeglasses as if they were prescribed. It never occurred to me until this year, just how many people take a few extra hours to say goodbye to 42nd street.



3. Midnight. Of course I had to get serious somewhere. This year I actually spent the anticipated moment, observing the moment. I didn't have a current love interest to swap saliva with, though most of my closest friends who were with me did. And everyone else was kind of paired off with their other halves. It sounds pathetic, but it really wasn't. I liked being able to watch an entire bar hug and kiss one another simultaneously. While each piece is celebrating their private moment, the bigger picture sees an overwhelming display of affection. And of course, within the time it takes to finish that kiss or unwrap your arms, I was in the action as well. It's one of those feel the love moments.


enjoy 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment