Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One Year Longed.

Today marked the 1st anniversary of my flight into Europe. This day last January I was taking off for Dublin to begin a 4 month European culture-fest. I think about my time over there everyday, especially Athens, my "home" city. Things just couldn't be any simpler. My friend Courtney said it best tonight. There's so many things we do in life just to cross them off our list. But when people ask me about Greece, or I think back on Athens, it's more than that. My experience over there was more than just some item to be crossed off; it became a glimpse into another life, a life I could see myself settling into. I long for Greece. It sounds cliche, melodramatic even, but it's exactly the way I feel. I try to think of reasons, excuses, and far-fetched job opportunities that could somehow bring me back. It's like catching a virus you don't want to lose. I embraced the infection, and now I'm craving for the relapse. America has me stationed conveniently near the entrance ramp of the career-driven expressway. Unfortuntely, I'd rather be love driven. There's too many people, and too beautiful of places that we let go of, all because of distance and money. I get that. I get that big time. But when there comes a point in our lives that it's our independent choice to give up what we truly love for that which we're "supposed" to love, then I see a problem. I'm not sure I'll land back on the coast of the Meditteranean the day after graduation, but I do see it as a feasible near future. I love what life became there, and I would hate for it to be nothing but a memory.

5 comments:

  1. These are curious thoughts. I had similar feelings following my time in London and Toronto. Everything seemed easier and less stressful. Life and my time there just seemed to be enjoyed so much more effectively than it ever has been in NY or wherever I have lived. But, after a lot of consideration and over-thinking I wonder whether it was real. In both those situations for me I had all my "needs" taken care of or accounted for before I went and I knew that the time had an end date. The money was set aside and ready for me when I needed it. The days were in essence numbered. It makes me wonder if these things weren't set in stone whether the feelings would have been the same. I'd like to think it would but I'm not so sure. What if my needs in NY were all accounted for? What if I didn't have to work and meet deadlines and pay bills. It's a curious concept. No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. I've thought those same thoughts before; measured there substance, debated their reality. And yet I still presume life there to be better, or at least the potential to be better. I'm not sure if it's specifically Greece, but like you said, life and time is genuinely more enjoyed. An Australian guy (Tony)I ran into an obscene 3 times by coincidence while I was over there said it nicely: "In America people live to work, but in other parts of the world people work to live." And it's so true. There is less stress in their step and more wideness in their eyes. I'm not decided just yet. I think what you say is true and important to consider. I like to think there's a possibility for that sort of life to exist, though. I think there's hope in world's that are unfamiliar to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope... yeah, I've heard about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about the foundation of the world...if I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so jealous of both of you. i feel like everyone needs a journey abroad atleast once in their lives to have the experience. especially greece. looks amazing

    ReplyDelete