Monday, January 12, 2009

And then came Sunday.

Yesterday was nothing short of a splendid tC Sunday, as usual.  With Ricky in the cockpit, Jay and I braced ourselves for an eventful trip down to Hamilton, NJ.  Ironically we spent the first half of our ride sightseeing Long Island, Queens, and Brooklyn.  Sure there were some wrong turns, missed exits, and even a pass by Jay's grandma's house - but we made it eventually.  In fact, once we got out of NY state, time kinda flew by.  

Because we had some time to kill and Ricky was falling asleep at the wheel, I suggested we stop at Starbucks.  What I had no idea of however, was that I was about to revolutionize my coffee sipping future.  You see, I had only started drinking Starbucks regularly last summer. A double shot of espresso on ice was exactly what I needed in between bus transfers in San Fran at 8 in the morning.  I was hooked.  Come fall I was a pumpkin spice regular, and by the holidays the gingersnap latte was glued to my palm.  But now that the holidays are over, the menus have changed, and gingersnap is no longer in the starbucks vocabulary (at least not for another year), I'm forced to move on.  Enter the Soy Latte.  A tall for my first try, I'm sure i'll never go short of a grande from now on.  Thanks to Jay's recommendation I'd found my new regular.  Relief.  

We drove to Hamilton Lanes, the bowling alley turned venue.  As we sat in the parking lot discussing anything and everything useless, the image of a big red van with an oversized white roof breaking the horizon gave us every bit of purpose to be in that moment.  We still had time to kill, but at least now we had even more friends to pass it with.  Some of us played Cash Cab the board game.  Some of us even won (Me! and Ricky).  As much fun as we create for ourselves, our reason for being 2 hours from home on a Sunday afternoon found us when the guys hit the stage.  The show was amazing (the best ever according to Ricky and Ryan).  You can hear the same songs week after week.  You can see the same people you saw last time.  But something about seeing your friends do something they love never gets old.  Sentimental - I know. Afterward, we headed for Hoboken on a sort of whim.  Lights Resolve was playing at Maxwells and we knew if we rushed we could make it.  And we did.  Just as they were about to hit their first notes.  Another amazing show.  

Till my next thought,
Tim

2 comments:

  1. i only like starbucks when they have pumpkin spice. so maybe i should give the soy latte a try.

    ReplyDelete