Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Home-made.

Last night I took part in one of my favorite activities: Game Night! There's a certain magic that exists between the games that never change and you, who keeps getting older, wiser and dirtier. Ricky was nice enough to host the event, so Mike and I eagerly hopped in the car and headed for her house. Ironically, Mike didn't know where Ricky lived. We winded up driving a ways past where we needed to be, turning around, and finding ourselves not too far from where I lived in the first place. After a few, scratch that, 12 rounds of Scattergories it turns out Paul Bunyan is an historical figure, Ricky needs to stop biting her hair off, and Mike and I both consider Bob Barker (double 'B' points!) a notable celebrity.

Scattegories soon ended, but the fun didn't stop. After two consecutive trips to King Kullen (we came up short the first round) we had all the makings for chocolate chip waffles - with nutella - and peanut butter - and maple syrup - and vanilla ice cream - and whip cream - and chocolate syrup. Washed down with a pitcher of chocolate milk. I speak honestly. It was no surprise that all it took was a brief mention of our menu to get even more people to come and join us - enter Andre and Jay.

The night concluded with yet another classic game - Apples to Apples. Jay (a rookie) and Andre (a vet) really took the reigns on this one, capitalizing on their power card hands. Their uses of Helen Keller and The Great Chicago Fire in particular brought Andre to an early lead and Jay to a final win. Congratualtions to both you.

I went home, passed out, woke up, and found myself on a train within just a few hours.

Tonight I'm in Poughkeepsie. Po-town. The gem of the Hudson Valley. Okay the last one is a bit of a stretch. But I'm here. It won't be a long trip (I got in around 5 and will be gone by 1 tomorrow) but it was sort of a necessity. I was without an iPod. I was without a phone. My internship is a week away, and somehow I still haven't gotten proper course credit approval. My car hasn't moved from its parking space in 2 months, and I need to start the donation process. Oh and my roomate is here by himself and could use as much company as he can get. So i figured I'd just kill five birds in one trip (wow that sounds morbid).

We went to the Palace Diner. We watched TV. Now we're going to sleep. Simple pretty much sums up the night. But I have to say, I've never been so comfortable before hopping in to bed since I left this place. I know it's not really "my room" as Nick constantly reminds me, but for this year alone - these are my walls to put pictures and records, and posters, and postcards all over. This is my floor to walk on. This is my bed to sleep in. Not to be a downer, but all I get in Floral Park is a futon in the TV room, and not even a set of drawers. Unpacking doesn't really exist for me.

Yet I'm still hesistent to call Poughkeepsie home. Everyone seems to have that specific place they call home, but for me it's sort of in pieces. In moments rather. I feel at home a lot more often than I'm ever in one. And I'll take that any day. I love my friends. Excuse me while I shut my eyes.

1 comment: